EqualityMaine Summer Internship
EqualityMaine is Maine's oldest and largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) political advocacy organization. We work to secure full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in the state through political action, education, and collaboration. We envision a Maine in which lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their families have full equality in the hearts and minds of Maine people, and in all areas of the law.
EqualityMaine Foundation seeks qualified applicants to join our team during the summer of 2013. Interns will support the work of the organization to advance equality for LGBT Mainers by organizing community action around the newly formed stratgecic goals of the organization. During the summer of 2013,iInterns will particularly focus their work on efforts to build systems change creating safer schools, increasing access to culturally competent health care and increasinglgbt community visibility in rural areas. Interns will have the opportunity to work closely with EQME staff and gain hands-on experience leading independent projects. This internship is an excellent opportunity to build political, non-profit and community organizing skills.
Location:Internships are available in Portland, Augusta and Bangor as well as other locations throughout Hancock, Aroostook, Knox, York and Oxford counties.
- Recruit, train and manage groups of volunteers
- Help to research opportunities for engagement in local communities
- Coordinate regional volunteer teams
- Support office and data entry needs
- Other work as needed to support the priorities of the field team
EqualityMaine seeks interns who understand and support our mission, are hard-working, and are able to successfully complete projects. Other selection criteria include:
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Be detail-oriented, organized, and computer-literate
- Have excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Prior volunteer or experience in education is a plus
Time requirements are flexible and range from 15 to 40 hours, preferably with some evening and weekend hours included. We encourage interns to arrange course credit from their school if possible.
Please send a resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com
EqualityMaine is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and transgender individuals are encouraged to apply.