EqualityMaine Strategic Plan 2013-2018
Below is the complete, five-year strategic plan. You can also download a PDF copy by clicking here.
A. Introduction: For nearly 30 years, EqualityMaine has worked in coalition with local and national partner organizations to successfully amend Maine’s statewide laws to be LGBT-inclusive. Now that Maine is a state that recognizes and protects LGBT people and their families, it is time to ensure that equality is real for all members of our community. Full equality is when all LGBT Mainers are safe, healthy and whole, and living open and productive lives—regardless of their age, their gender identity or expression, or where in Maine they live.
B. Our Mission: EqualityMaine works to secure full equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people in Maine through political action, education, community organizing and collaboration.
C. Our Vision: In Maine, lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons and their families have full equality in the hearts and minds of Maine people and in all areas of the law.
D. Our Guiding Values: EqualityMaine is driven by four core values:
· Community: Maine's LGBT community is vibrant and diverse; our members are elders, immigrants, youth, parents, transgender and gender non-conforming, residents of rural townships and cities, students, and are from all economic levels. EqualityMaine strives to represent the needs and interests of our whole community. All voices are important to achieving our mission.
· Education:Changing the hearts and minds of Maine people and providing valuable learning opportunities on LGBT issues are two of our major strengths. We believe in the power of education to support and advance our community.
· Collaboration:Working in coalition and with the participation of other progressive organizations is key to our success. We believe in the central role of collaboration as an organizing tool, as well as a guiding principle for all of our programs. Through collaboration, we seek to grow the skills, capacity and power of our partners and our organization so that our work leaves behind a broader, stronger movement.
· Power:EqualityMaine recognizes the importance of harnessing our community's political power to achieve greater and more comprehensive protections for all members of our community. We will continue to strive for the empowerment of our community members, as well as policies that protect and secure our community.
E. Our Goals and Strategies: Over the next several years, we will strive to make equality real for every member of the LGBT community in Maine. Through political action, education, community organizing and collaboration we will work toward the following goals using the stated strategies.
GOAL: Build community among and empower LGBT people in rural Maine.
· Design and implement public education efforts regarding the lives and needs of LGBT community members.
· Deepen relationships with LGBT and allied organizations through shared programs, training and capacity building.
· Empower LGBT people to be more out in the community, and work to ensure it is safe to be out in every Maine community.
· Ensure the specific needs of rural LGBT people are considered and addressed throughout EqualityMaine’s work.
GOAL: Create a more inclusive, supportive, and affirming climate in Maine for LGBT, questioning and gender non-conforming youth.
· Ensure Maine laws address bullying, violence and other challenges specific to LGBT, questioning and gender non-conforming youth, and are fully implemented and enforced.
· Foster greater understanding, acceptance and support for LGBT, questioning and gender non-conforming youth in Maine schools by providing professional development and guidance to school personnel.
· Create greater understanding, acceptance and support for LGBT, questioning and gender non-conforming youth in homeless services.
· Build the capacity of youth advocacy by strengthening Maine's existing LGBT, questioning and gender non-conforming youth groups and providing leadership development.
GOAL: Ensure LGBT elders are safe, healthy, connected in the community, and free from discrimination.
· Advocate for affirming and culturally competent policies and practices among elder service providers, including medical providers, assisted living and residential facilities, nursing homes, and other elder services.
· Advocate for public policies that address the needs of LGBT elders and defend existing legal protections at the state level.
· Deepen relationships with LGBT elder and allied organizations through shared programs, training and capacity building.
· Engage aging members of the LGBT community and other organizations to foster connectedness and community, and to create social opportunities to reduce isolation.
GOAL: Ensure transgender and gender non-conforming people are safe, healthy and free from discrimination and bias.
· Educate healthcare providers and regulatory bodies about transgender health care needs and culturally competent care for transgender people.
· Ensure transgender Mainers have access to affordable, competent health care, including all necessary transition-related services.
· Advocate for policies that address the needs of transgender and gender non-conforming people and defend existing legal protections at the state level.
· Deepen relationships with transgender and allied organizations through shared programs, training and capacity building.
· Design and implement public education efforts to foster understanding and empathy for transgender and gender non-conforming people among the general public.
GOAL: Strengthen organizational capacity and focus.
· Build and sustain a diverse and robust Board, encouraging participation and input through strong Board committees.
· Ensure the organization is efficient and effective in staff, operations and financial management.
· Utilize technology and new media for effective communication within the organization and publicly.
· Ensure strong financial health through a diverse and creative fundraising plan.
GOAL: Engage in public education and advocacy on behalf of LGBT Mainers.
· Advocate for policies that address HIV/AIDS and other health related issues, domestic violence and sexual assault, family and adoption issues, and other issues that impact LGBT people.
· Deepen relationships with organizations working on HIV/AIDS and other health related issues, domestic violence and sexual assault, family and adoption issues, and other issues that impact LGBT people, through shared programs.
GOAL: Build and maintain political power for Maine’s LGBT community.
(EqualityMaine 501c4 and EqualityMaine PAC only)
· Strengthen and maintain EqualityMaine’s political presence.
· Engage in political action and collaboration to win legislative, electoral, and issue campaigns on issues that impact LGBT people.
· Build the capacity and expertise to directly provide input in administrative and legislative settings.